Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Preserving the Harvest: Arugula Pesto


I for one have never been a big fan of arugula, that is, until now.  Since starting work at ManoRun organic farm I have tried a lot of new things that I now love which has made the experience that much more amazing.  Arugula is one of them.  Besides enjoying it in salad it was suggested to me that it also made for an amazing pesto.  I was skeptical but did my research, found a great recipe online, and now I can't get enough of this stuff!


Vegan Arugula Pesto
Original recipe from Finally Kitchen, serves: 4-6




2 cloves garlic  
1/3 cup raw walnuts, pinenuts or almonds (I did a mix myself)
3 tbs fresh basil, roughly chopped  
2 1/2 ounces baby arugula  
2 tbsp nutritional yeast  
3 tbs olive oil  
Juice of 1 lemon
Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste 


When I made this recipe I actually doubled it and it filled about two and half 250 ml jars, which are great for freezing!
 
Mince the garlic cloves in a food processor, then add the walnuts and pulse until the nuts are chopped. Add all of the remaining ingredients, pulse until evenly blended and creamy.


You may need to scrape the sides of your processor a couple of times to ensure it is mixed well. Season with salt and pepper, serve with crackers, bread or pita, and enjoy!

Do you have amazing pesto recipe that you love?
I would love to hear it! Please leave a comment.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...